foozle vt foo-zled; foo-zling (1892): to manage or play awkwardly; a bungling golf stroke

Saturday, February 23, 2008

An Early Morning Blog

It's 4 a.m. and I'm watching taped coverage of the Mayakoba Golf Classic from yesterday's action in Mexico. It sure looks warm and sunny there...Corey Pavin is carving shots under the wind. Nick Price is striking the ball so purely he probably doesn't even know the wind is blowing 25-30 mph. Greg Norman threw up all over himself in the morning round (didn't see it, just heard about it) but all is well with his empire, no doubt. The Golf Channel had tape of his fiancee Chris Evert giving him a kiss as he walked down the 18th fairway. So sweet. This young Australian David Lutterus seems interesting. A little bit flashy and excitable and all dressed in black. I wonder if we'll ever hear from him again. My old favorite Neal Lancaster made a brief appearance on the second page of the leaderboard but he has all-but disappeared again just as quickly. I remember reading something about him in a golf rag where they said he only went into the tour-sponsored fitness trailers to get BenGay for his aching muscles and would be smoking cigarettes all the while. How cool is that? We won't see another like him again, of that I'm sure. I thought Spencer Levin was going to be worth getting excited about but I couldn't tell you where he's playing these days. Young, brash, with an up-turned collar and a mouth full of expletives--worth watching as far as I'm concerned, if only someone was covering the tournaments he's playing in these days. And speaking of Where Are They Nows, where's Ricky Barnes? My wife had a crush on him something fierce, so much so that I almost got her to go watch the local Nationwide Tour stop with me a few years back because he was scheduled to play in the event. Does he still even play the game?

No comments: