foozle vt foo-zled; foo-zling (1892): to manage or play awkwardly; a bungling golf stroke

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ben Curtis

This guy has got to be the least-interesting interview on Tour. I've yet to see him say anything that wasn't 100% cliche and he always delivers it in a complete monotone, I'd-rather-be-anywhere-but-here voice that drives me nuts. I get the feeling he'd be about as much fun to sit down and have a beer with as someone who doesn't drink. And not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying...The guy wins the British Open in almost surreal fashion and then all-of-a-suddenly everyone wants to talk to him. I can see him running out of things to say after a couple of months of being bombarded by the press, especially after spending so many years being completed ignored by them. But now he's almost five years (or is it six?) removed from his career-changing victory and he's still got nothing to say. I give him credit for turning out to be a better golfer than most people projected, and god bless him for flying the NFL colors in every city he plays in, but I can only cut the guy so much slack. Act like you care or have an interesting (maybe even non-golf related...gasp!) thought in your head, please? It's important to golf nuts like myself to feel like the players I admire so much for their skill at this wonderful game also have something to offer to society as a whole. Otherwise watching golf on TV just feels like idol worshipping and I'm pretty sure that's not good for my soul.

No comments: