foozle vt foo-zled; foo-zling (1892): to manage or play awkwardly; a bungling golf stroke

Monday, September 1, 2008

The U.S. Ryder Cup Team

Who should Paul Azinger pick for this year's Ryder Cup team? I can't remember the last time I was so excited about the upcoming Ryder Cup matches--I think its because I'm relishing the idea of the U.S. team actually being an underdog this year and I love pulling for the underdog. If experience is what the team needs, then I think you can't go wrong with the likes of Steve Stricker, Rocco Mediate, Woody Austin and Scott Verplank. Stricker and Mediate don't necessarily have a lot of Ryder Cup experience but they've been around the game for some time and likely won't get too overwhelmed by the magnitude of the matches. For some fresh blood, however, I think Hunter Mahan, Bubba Watson, Brandt Snedeker and J.B. Holmes might be solid choices. They might just play like they don't give-a-damn and maybe that's what the team has needed to play like these last ten or so years. To be honest, I wasn't even slightly disappointed when Tiger Woods announced he would be out of golf for the remainder of the year, and hence, would be missing the Ryder Cup. They haven't done diddly with his "Greatest Player of All-Time" moxy on their team so far so why should he presence even be missed this year?
My only concern is that Azinger is going to try and out-smart himself and make one, maybe two, out-of-left-field type picks and have a couple of really questionable players on the team. I hope he can put his own ego aside and make four solid selections come Tuesday morning and a couple of weeks from now we can all be rejoicing in a victory by our American team. Only time will tell, I guess--I'll be watching his press conference tomorrow, that's for sure.

No comments: