foozle vt foo-zled; foo-zling (1892): to manage or play awkwardly; a bungling golf stroke

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

10 Million Dollars?

Did Vijay Singh really just make $10 million-plus for just showing up and completing four rounds at the Tour Championship last week? That's amazing. I know a lot of hard work went into putting himself in position to claim such a prize, but seriously, $10 million for just showing up? Things have certainly gotten out of whack, if you ask me. I hate to say that it takes some of the fun out of watching golf on TV but sitting here pondering how I'm going to make my family's budget adjust to this sagging economy and the slow-down of our personal profitability, its all starting to seem a bit silly to me. Much like the NFL has begun to distance itself from the everyday fan by how much they're charging for parking, tickets, concessions, etc. at each game, I'm starting to think the PGA Tour is going down the same path. Who pays for these ridiculously large purses that golfers compete for each and every week? Corporate America fronts the money, sure, but you can bet your bottom dollar (pun intended) that they're making sure that we, the fan, ultimately pay them back for their support of the tour.

No comments: