foozle vt foo-zled; foo-zling (1892): to manage or play awkwardly; a bungling golf stroke

Thursday, May 29, 2008

9-Handicapper With No Arms

I saw a feature on the Golf Channel the other night about a 40-something Guy who was born with no arms who has taken up golf and managed to whittle his handicap down to a 9. I mean nothing disparaging towards this Guy--in fact, after seeing the video of his one-handed swing I am in awe of his ability. But it got me thinking that as a reasonably healthy and coordinated man in my 30's who has two perfectly good arms hanging from his shoulders I have no excuse for not being able to play this game to at least as well as a man with no arms. The birth of my second child last week has me thinking about a lot of things, the very least of which is my golf game. Nonetheless I've still been thinking about my golf game and how much (or how little) I'm going to be able to play in the coming months and years and how I'm going to enjoy this all-consuming game that I've become so fascinated with, especially if I'm not able to let it consume me like it used to. I've decided I'm going to have to be happy just to be able to play and I'm going to play well because I have before and I'm smart enough to know how to keep playing well even if I can't practice/play as much as I'd like. All this because of a man with no arms and his single-digit handicap.

No comments: