foozle vt foo-zled; foo-zling (1892): to manage or play awkwardly; a bungling golf stroke

Saturday, March 19, 2011

I Played Golf


I know, shocking. I played golf. Insofar as it was my first round in almost four months though, it does seem newsworthy. I hopped the ferry from North Captiva and made it back to Pineland just in time for my buddy Chris to pick me up and drive back an hour in the opposite direction to the Renaissance Golf Club in Ft. Myers. Chris spent four hours total in the car so that I could play with him and the Saad Man--above and beyond the "friend call of duty" if you ask me. Thanks again, Chris. I opened with a solid up-and-in for par, then pumped (ha--more like "ballooned") three straight tee shots on the par 5 second hole into the water. Dreams of a solid scoring round were quickly dashed, so I just picked myself up and decided to enjoy the day. Playing carefree, I managed to hit a few decent tee shots, had one half-shank 8-iron, and made some solid chips and putts to keep the car between the ditches, so to speak. Maybe an adjusted 86 or 87, I'm thinking. Lots of fun, either way. It was a beautiful golf course and a beautiful day--I can't ask for much more then that. I hope to use this round as a springboard to an exciting and laid-back season of golf. I'll likely have more time and less money to play this summer, so maybe I'll just enjoy it more? Here's to hoping so.

No comments: