foozle vt foo-zled; foo-zling (1892): to manage or play awkwardly; a bungling golf stroke

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Mac O'Grady

Mac O'Grady was a professional golfer on the PGA Tour before I even cared or knew anything about the great game of golf. I guess he won a tournament or two in the 80's, a time when I was more concerned with trying to find just the right shirt to wear with my rail-thin piano key necktie than what was going on in the world of golf. Lately, however, Mr. O'Grady has been making some rather interesting news that I'm surprised hasn't gotten a lot more press coverage. Apparently he's semi-retired from the professional game now but as recently as earlier this decade he tried to enter golf tournaments twice, playing once as a right-hander and once as a left-hander. The story goes he's even petitioned the USGA to let him enter the US Amateur as a left-handed player since he played his entire professional life as a righty. No response from the suits in Far Hills, NJ. This fascinates me and I'm not sure why. Is it the metaphysical question of mind vs. body in regards to what makes a pro a pro? I'm not sure. I guess I'll have to keep thinkin' on it and get back to you all (or both of you, or nobody...)

No comments: